I’m afraid this is a dull, selfish, picture-less sort of post but I need to tap into your collective wisdom. I’m just beginning my first balcony vegetable/flower garden in containers and I have some questions. I’m looking for pesticide-free, organic or natural solutions to many of these problems. Would you mind lending an ear?
1. BEES: I do not want to kill these honey bees and wasps, just keep them from running us indoors. By mid-morning they’re swarming furiously. I’ve planted garlic plants because that’s suppose to repel them. We’ll see…
2. COMPOSTING: I’d like to begin small and simple. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
3. STORING SEEDS: How do you do it?
4. ALREADY PLANTED: I’m growing cherry tomatoes, bush beans, banana peppers, and strawberries. Any tips would be much appreciated!
5. WOULD LIKE TO PLANT: summer squash, carrots, spinach (I’ve seen conflicting info on the best times to plant these if you’re starting from seed. Any suggestions?
6. PESTICIDE: What do you use to get rid of ants in your yard? Pests on your organic veggies/fruits?
7. If you have ANY other tips or advice, I’m all ears? I’m completely new to this and will gladly accept all the advice I can get. If you have a favorite gardening blog or website that I should check out, let me know about that too.
Thanks so much!!! I can’t wait to read your tips!