Just returned to our nest and my little one after five days with my honey in San Francisco.
Much to share but today there are matters of the home that need tending.
Archive for 2010|Yearly archive page
Handmade Writer e-course
Monday, April 12th
Duration: 6 weeks
Led by Amy Spencer
In Amy’s words:
“The Handmade Writer e-course has been inspired by the strength of craft communities and brings a crafty approach to creative writing. I am a writer and also a crafter and I know lots of other people are too. I see similarities between the two creative forms and that’s what this e-course is all about. I will encourage students to gather material from every source imaginable and use the fabric of their lives to tell extraordinary stories.
Rather than focusing on any particular style of writing or for any particular type of writer, this course is about exploring the world and looking for inspiration around you. It is a designed to encourage people to take their writing a bit more seriously and find motivation to fit it into their lives.”
When Amy contacted me about this opportunity, I was excited to share it with you and (full disclosure) by mentioning it here, my name is being entered into a drawing for one free registration, which I will, in turn, be giving away to one of you, if I were fortunate enough to win it.
p.s. Please keep the wonderful gardening advice coming. I’m soaking it up!
I’m afraid this is a dull, selfish, picture-less sort of post but I need to tap into your collective wisdom. I’m just beginning my first balcony vegetable/flower garden in containers and I have some questions. I’m looking for pesticide-free, organic or natural solutions to many of these problems. Would you mind lending an ear?
1. BEES: I do not want to kill these honey bees and wasps, just keep them from running us indoors. By mid-morning they’re swarming furiously. I’ve planted garlic plants because that’s suppose to repel them. We’ll see…
2. COMPOSTING: I’d like to begin small and simple. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
3. STORING SEEDS: How do you do it?
4. ALREADY PLANTED: I’m growing cherry tomatoes, bush beans, banana peppers, and strawberries. Any tips would be much appreciated!
5. WOULD LIKE TO PLANT: summer squash, carrots, spinach (I’ve seen conflicting info on the best times to plant these if you’re starting from seed. Any suggestions?
6. PESTICIDE: What do you use to get rid of ants in your yard? Pests on your organic veggies/fruits?
7. If you have ANY other tips or advice, I’m all ears? I’m completely new to this and will gladly accept all the advice I can get. If you have a favorite gardening blog or website that I should check out, let me know about that too.
Thanks so much!!! I can’t wait to read your tips!