Sun spills into our windows deeper into evening. Still there aren’t enough hours in the day. Early mornings are spent outdoors, tending to tiny plots of soil pregnant with bush beans, spinach, strawberries, peppers, lettuce, zucchini and crookneck squash. We water tenderly and dream of the picking. The bulky bean sprouts made their abrupt appearance three days ago and I explained again to the curious one that these green creatures will feed us soon enough. She stares in disbelief at them and me. Fresh soil. Fresh green. Fresh eyes. And I awe and wonder too – our shadows hovering together over stirring earth. We watch and wait.
Posts Tagged ‘gardening’
I’m afraid this is a dull, selfish, picture-less sort of post but I need to tap into your collective wisdom. I’m just beginning my first balcony vegetable/flower garden in containers and I have some questions. I’m looking for pesticide-free, organic or natural solutions to many of these problems. Would you mind lending an ear?
1. BEES: I do not want to kill these honey bees and wasps, just keep them from running us indoors. By mid-morning they’re swarming furiously. I’ve planted garlic plants because that’s suppose to repel them. We’ll see…
2. COMPOSTING: I’d like to begin small and simple. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
3. STORING SEEDS: How do you do it?
4. ALREADY PLANTED: I’m growing cherry tomatoes, bush beans, banana peppers, and strawberries. Any tips would be much appreciated!
5. WOULD LIKE TO PLANT: summer squash, carrots, spinach (I’ve seen conflicting info on the best times to plant these if you’re starting from seed. Any suggestions?
6. PESTICIDE: What do you use to get rid of ants in your yard? Pests on your organic veggies/fruits?
7. If you have ANY other tips or advice, I’m all ears? I’m completely new to this and will gladly accept all the advice I can get. If you have a favorite gardening blog or website that I should check out, let me know about that too.
Thanks so much!!! I can’t wait to read your tips!